A/Prof Michael Valenzuela
Policy & Clinical Guidelines
- Steering committee for Alzheimer’s Australia’s “BrainyApp”, a dementia risk reduction application for iPhone and iPad launched in November 2011
- Co-Chair, Steering Committee, “Hearts and Minds Dementia Risk Reduction Awareness Campaign Project”, NSW Health, July 2009-2011
- NGO Report: ‘Cognitive Training For Older Australians: Does it Work?’, commissioned by Alzheimer’s Australia November 2008
- Expert commentary on 2009 revised edition of Alzheimer’s Australia’s ‘Mind Your Mind’ community awareness risk reduction booklet
- Developed the ‘Brain Training’ consumer information statement for the Brain & Ageing Research Program
- NHMRC Roundtable Discussion: “Future of Dementia Research in Australia” with Hon Mark Butler MP November 2011
Dementia Prevention Training Workshops
- Manly-Warringah Division of GPs
- Illawarra Division of GPs
- ‘Cognitive Brain Training in Healthy & At-risk Older Individuals’ Workshop for health professionals. South Australia Alzheimer’s Association. Adelaide November 2009.
Refereed Research Articles
- Valenzuela M, Sachdev P, Wen W, Shnier R, Brodaty H, Gillies D. Dual Voxel Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in the Healthy Elderly: Subcortical-Frontal Axonal N-Acetylaspartate Levels are Correlated with Fluid Cognitive Abilities Independent of Structural Brain Changes. Neuroimage (2000), 12: 747-756.
- Sachdev P, Valenzuela M, Wang X, Looi J, Brodaty H. Relationship between plasma homocysteine levels and brain atrophy in healthy elderly individuals. Neurology (2002), 58: 1539-1541
- Valenzuela M, Jones M, Wen W, Rae C, Graham S, Shnier R, Sachdev P. Memory Training Alters Hippocampal Neurochemistry in Healthy Elderly. Neuroreport (2003) 14 (10):1333-1337
- Sachdev P, Valenzuela M, Brodaty H, Wang X, Looi J, Lorentz L, Howard L, Jones M, Sims J, Gillies D, Wilcken D. Homocysteine As A Risk Factor For Cognitive Impairment In Stroke Patients. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders. (2003) 15: 155-162
- Sachdev PS. Brodaty H. Valenzuela MJ. Lorentz L. Looi JC. Wen W. Zagami AS. The neuropsychological profile of vascular cognitive impairment in stroke and TIA patients. Neurology. 62(6):912-9, 2004 Mar 23.
- Sachdev PS, Brodaty H, Valenzuela MJ, Lorentz L, Koschera A. Progression of cognitive impairment in stroke patients, Neurology 2004; 63: 1618-24
- Ross AJ. Sachdev PS. Wen W. Valenzuela MJ. Brodaty H.1H MRS in stroke patients with and without cognitive impairment. Neurobiology of Aging. 26(6):873-82, 2005 Jun.
- Ross AJ, Sachdev PS, Wen W, Valenzuela MJ, Brodaty H. Cognitive correlates of 1H MRS measures in the healthy elderly brain. Brain Research Bulletin. 2005 Jul 15;66(1):9-16
- Brodaty H, Sachdev P, Withall A, Altendorf A, Valenzuela M, Lorentz L. Frequency and clinical, neuropsychological and neuroimaging correlates of apathy following stroke – the Sydney Stroke Study. Psychological Medicine (2005) 35: 1707-1716.
- P.S. Sachdev, H. Brodaty, M.J. Valenzuela, L. Lorentz, J.C.L. Looi, K. Berman, A. Ross, W. Wen, A . Zagami. Clinical Determinants of Dementia and Mild Cognitive Impairment following Ischaemic Stroke: The Sydney Stroke Study. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 2006;21:275-283
- Valenzuela M & Sachdev, P. Brain Reserve and Dementia: A systematic review. Psychological Medicine. (2006) 36: 441-454
- Valenzuela M & Sachdev P. Brain Reserve and Cognitive Decline: A Non Parametric Systematic Review. Psychological Medicine (2006) 36: 1065-1073
- Valenzuela M & Sachdev P. Assessment of Complex Mental Activity Across the Lifespan: Development of the Lifetime of Experiences Questionnaire. Psychological Medicine (2007) 37:1015-1026.
- Valenzuela M, K Sidhu, S Dean, B Tuch, P Sachdev. Neural precursors from canine skin: A new direction for testing autologous cell replacement in the brain. Stem Cell & Development (2008) 17: 1087-1094.
- Valenzuela M, Sachdev P, Chen X, Wen W, Brodaty H. Lifespan mental activity predicts diminished rate of hippocampal atrophy. PLoS One (2008) 3(7):e2598
- Valenzuela M., Sachdev P. Can cognitive exercise prevent the onset of dementia? A systematic review of clinical trials with longitudinal follow up. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (2009) 17:179-187
- Rubinov M, McIntosh A, Valenzuela M, Breakspear M. Simulation of neuronal death and network recovery in a computational model of distributed cortical activity. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (2009) 175:210-217.
- Salvin H, McGreevy P, Sachdev P, Valenzuela M. Under diagnosis of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction in Older Companion Dogs. The Veterinary Journal.(2010) 184(3):277-81
- Roberts T, McGreevy P, Valenzuela M. Human Induced Rotation and Reorganization of Brain of Domestic Dogs. PLoS ONE (2010) 5(7): e11946. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011946
- N.A. Kochan, M. Breakspear, M.J. Slavin, M. Valenzuela, S. McCraw, H. Brodaty, P.S. Sachdev. Functional Alterations in Brain Activation and Deactivation in Mild Cognitive Impairment in Response to a Graded Working Memory Challenge. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders (2010) 30:553-568
- Salvin H, McGreevy P, Sachdev P, Valenzuela M. The Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Rating scale (CCDR): A data-driven and ecologically relevant diagnostic and assessment tool. The Veterinary Journal. 2011 Jun; 188(3):331-6
- Salvin H, McGreevy P, Sachdev P, Valenzuela M. The Canine Sand Maze (CSM): An appetitive spatial memory paradigm sensitive to age-related change in companion dogs. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behaviour (2011) 95:109–118
- Nicole A Kochan, Michael Breakspear, Michael Valenzuela, Melissa J Slavin, Henry Brodaty, Wei Wen, Julian N Trollor, Andrew Turner, John D Crawford, Perminder S Sachdev. Cortical responses to a graded working memory challenge predict functional decline in Mild Cognitive Impairment. Biological Psychiatry(2011) 15;70(2):123-30.
- Song F, Poljak A, Valenzuela M, Mayeux R, Smythe GA, Sachdev P. Meta-analysis of plasma amyloid beta levels in Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease(in press – accepted 14 April 2011- 10-1977R2).
- Salvin H, McGrath C, McGreevy P, Sachdev P, Valenzuela M. Development of a novel paradigm for the measurement of olfactory discrimination in dogs (Canis familiaris): a pilot study. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. (2012) 7, 3-10.
- Salvin H, McGreevy P, Sachdev P, Valenzuela M. Growing old gracefully – Behavioral changes associated with successful ageing in the dog, Canis familiaris. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. (2011); 6(6):313-320.
- Nicola Gates, Michael Valenzuela, Perminder Sachdev, Nalin Singh, Bernhard T Baune, Henry Brodaty, Chao Suo, Nidhi Jain, Guy Wilson, Yi Wang, Michael Baker, Dominique Williamson, Nasim Foroughi and Maria Fiatarone Singh. Study of Mental Activity and Regular Training (SMART) in at risk individuals: A randomised double blind, sham controlled, longitudinal trial. BMC Geriatrics (in press)
- Michael Valenzuela, Fiona E Matthews, Carol Brayne, Paul Ince, Glenda Halliday, Jillian J Kril, Marshall A Dalton, Kathryn Richardson, Gill Forster, Perminder S Sachdev. Multiple Biological Pathways Link Cognitive Lifestyle to Protection from Dementia. Biological Psychiatry. (in press – accepted July 2011).
- Nicole Kochan, Michael Breakspear, Michael Valenzuela, Melissa J Slavin, Henry Brodaty, Wei Wen, Julian N Trollor, Perminder S Sachdev. Impact of Load-related Neural Processes on Feature Binding in Visuospatial Working Memory. PloS ONE. (in press – accepted August 2011).
- Riccardo E. Marioni, van den Hout, Michael Valenzuela, Carol Brayne, Fiona E. Matthews, MRC Cognitive Function and Ageing Study. Active cognitive lifestyle associates with cognitive recovery and a reduced risk of cognitive decline. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease (in press – accepted August 2011)
- Nicola J Gates, Perminder S Sachdev, Maria A Fiatarone Singh, Michael Valenzuela. Cognitive and memory training in adults at risk of dementia: A Systematic Review. BMC Geriatrics 2011, 11:55.
- Hannah E. Salvin, Paul D. McGreevy, Perminder S. Sachdev, Michael J. Valenzuela. The effect of breed on age-related changes in behavior and disease prevalence in cognitively normal older community dogs, Canis lupus familiaris. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research (2012) 7(2), 61-69.
- Siette J, Westbrook F, Cotman C, Sidhu K, Zhu W, Sachdev P, Valenuela M. Age-Specific Effects of Voluntary Exercise on Memory and the Older Brain. Biological Psychiatry (in press)
Reviews & Opinion
- Valenzuela M & Sachdev P. Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Alzheimer’s Disease. Neurology (2001), 56: 592-598.
- Trollor J & Valenzuela M. Brain Ageing in the New Millennium. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry (2001) 35(6):788-805.
- Malhi G, Valenzuela M, Wen W, Sachdev P. Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and its applications in psychiatry, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry (2002), 36:31-43.
- Valenzuela M, Sidhu K, Dean S, Sachdev P. Neural Stem Cells for Neuropsychiatric Disorders. Acta Neuropsychiatrica (2007) 19:11-26
- Valenzuela M, Breakspear M, P Sachdev. Complex Mental Activity: Molecular, Cellular and Compensatory Cortical Network Mechanisms. Brain Research Reviews. (2007) 56: 198-213.
- Michael Valenzuela, David Bartrés-Faz, Faisal Beg, Alex Fornito, Emilio Merlo-Pich, Ulrich Müller, Dost Öngür, Arthur W. Toga, Murat Yücel. Neuroimaging as Endpoints in Clinical Trials: from the first Provence Workshop. Molecular Psychiatry, 31 May 2011;16(11):1064-1066.
- Valenzuela M. Brain and heart targets for better dementia prevention. Medicine Today. (2012); 13(2): 38-43.
- Michael Valenzuela, Murray Esler, Karen Ritchie, Henry Brodaty. Antihypertensives for Combating Dementia? A Perspective on Candidate Molecular Mechanisms and Population-Based Prevention. Translational Psychiatry. (in press – accepted 3 March 2012).
- Sachdev P, Brodaty H, Wang X, Valenzuela M, Gillies D, Looi J, Lorentz L, Monk D, Kinch J, Howard L, Walker D, Shnier R, Zagami A, Wilcken D. Cognitive Impairment in a Stroke Sample: Preliminary Results from the Sydney Stroke Study. Book Chapter in ‘Contemporary Neuropsychiatry’, M Gaviria & Y Morita (Eds) pp. 142-146. Springer: Tokyo 2001.
- Valenzuela, M. J. (in press). Cultivating a cognitive lifestyle: Implications for healthy brain ageing and dementia prevention. In P. McNamara (Ed.), Dementia: Volume 1: History and incidence. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Publishers
- Valenzuela, M. The Changing Brain. Book Chapter in “Health” H. Sykes. March 2011 (Copyright Agency Limited)
- Chao Suo and Michael Valenzuela. Neuroimaging Outcomes of Brain Training Trials. Book Chapter in “Neuroimaging / Book 3”, September 2011. ISBN 979?953-307-238-7.
- Valenzuela M. “It’s Never too Late to Change Your Mind – the latest medical thinking on what you can do to avoid dementia” February 2009 (ABC Books).
- Valenzuela M. “Maintain Your Brain” July 2011 (ABC Books).
A/Prof Michael Valenzuela
- ‘Brain Training for the Prevention of Dementia’. Alzheimer’s Disease International Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece March 2010.
Invitation-only International Workshop
- CHDI Workshop on Exercise-Drug Synergy: Neuroprotection and Neural Plasticity in Huntington’s Disease, New York , February 2011.
Chairperson at International Conferences
- ‘Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy & Psychiatry: The Cutting Edge’ – Convenor and Chairperson for Symposium at the World Congress of Biological Psychiatry 2004, Sydney Australia.
- ‘Brain Reserve: from Neuron to Population’ – Convenor, Chairperson & Speaker for Symposium at the 6th International Congress of Neuropsychiatry, Sydney Australia, September 2006.
- ‘Neuroimaging’ – Chairperson for Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research (ARSP) 2010 Conference “Glial-Neuronal Networks in Neuropsychiatry”, Sydney December 2010
International Free Papers
- ‘Advances in fMRI’ – Symposium speaker at the 6th International Congress of Neuropsychiatry, Sydney Australia, September 2006.
- ‘Lifespan Mental Activity Predicts Diminished Rate of Hippocampal Atrophy’ oral presentation at Alzheimer’s Imaging Consortium Symposium at the 11PthP Alzheimer’s Association International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, Chicago, USA, July 2008
- ‘The SMART Trial: Study of Mental Activity & Regular Training for the prevention of cognitive decline in at-risk elderly’. Oral symposium at International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology, Sydney September 2008
- ‘Can Cognitive Training Prevent Dementia?’. oral symposium at the 12PthP Alzheimer’s Association International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, Vienna Austria, July 2009
Invited International Symposia
- ‘Mental Exercise, Dermis, Dogs and Dementia’ – Clinical Neuroscience seminar series presenter at the Department of Molecular Neuropharmacology, NEUROTEC, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, February 2007.
- ‘Mental Exercise and Dementia’ – Bradford Hill lecture at the Institute of Public Health, Cambridge University (UK) January 2007.
- ‘Brain Reserve: Epidemiological Evidence’ – Invited symposium session speaker at International Congress of Vascular Dementia’ Budapest, Hungary, November 2007.
- ‘Cognitive Lifestyle, Dogs, Dermis and Dementia Prevention’. – Invited symposium at Columbia University College of Surgeons and Physicians seminar series, October 2009.
- ‘Detection of neurogenesis in psychiatric patients for response prediction’ – Neuroimaging as Endpoints in Clinical Trials Summer Workshop, Provence France, June 2010
- ‘Cognitive Lifestyle and Better Dementia Prevention’ – Hong Kong Alzheimer’s Disease Conference, June 2012
- ‘Benefiting from Health and Medical Research: Improving Patient Care’ Scientific Session. NHMRC’s 75th Anniversary Symposium, The National Gallery, Canberra, November 2011.
- Prevention of Dementia by Mental Activity’ – Keynote address International Doctors Health Conference, Sydney, October 2007
- ‘Harnessing Brain Reserve for the Prevention of Dementia’ Showcase oral presentation at Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research annual conference, Melbourne November 2007
- ‘Use it or Lose it – why mental activity is important for dementia risk’ Plenary lecture at ‘Nurses Conference’, Sydney December 2007
- ‘Brain Training for the Prevention of dementia’. Masterclass in Alzheimer’s Disease. Sydney May 2009.
- ‘Cultivating a Cognitive Lifestyle’ Plenary lecture at the National Dementia Research Forum 2011
Invited National Symposia
- ‘Cognitive Spectroscopy’ – Symposium Speaker at Sixth Annual Conference of the Australian Psychological Society College of Clinical Neuropsychologists, Pokolbin Australia, October 2000.
- ‘Quantitative volumetry of the medial temporal lobe using AnalyzeÓ’ – Course Presenter at The Centre for Mental Health Research, Canberra, May 2002.
- ‘Dementia and Memory’ – Chairperson for Symposium at the 6th International Congress of Neuropsychiatry, Sydney Australia, September 2006.
- ‘BOLD signal – what does it mean?’ – Symposium speaker at College of Clinical Neuropsychology “Neurobiology of the mind: Latest advances in neuropsychiatry” workshop, Manly, November 2006.
- ‘Cognitive Spectroscopy’ – Symposium speaker at College of Clinical Neuropsychology “Neurobiology of the mind: Latest advances in neuropsychiatry” workshop, Manly, November 2006.
- ‘Maintaining Healthy Cognition’ – guest speaker at Alzheimer’s Australia Mid-North Coast Dementia Symposium May 2007
- Making Skin from Brain’ Oral presentation at Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research annual conference, Melbourne November 2007
- ‘Use it or Lose it – Preventing Cognitive Decline ’ Symposium lecture at ‘Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)’, Sydney May 2008
- ‘Reducing Dementia Risk: Cognitive lifestyle and brain training’- International Federation of Aging 10th Global Conference of Aging, Melbourne, May 2009.
- ‘Cognitive Lifestyle and Brain Training’ International Federation of Aging 2010, Melbourne 4 May 2010.
- ‘Impact of Cognitive Lifestyle on Brain Structure, Function and Risk Dementia’ Department of Psychiatry Monday Colloquium, Royal Melbourne Hospital Victoria, August 2010.
- ‘Measuring Neurogenesis in the Living Brain with MR Spectroscopy: Ecological Validation using EC’, Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, September 2010.
- ‘Canine brain ageing and dementia: Man’s best friend as a translational model’, Neuroscience Seminar Series, The Royal Melbourne Hospital Victoria, 25 August 2010
- ‘ It’s Never too Late to Change Your Mind: latest medical thinking on what you can do to avoid dementia’, 25th Anniversary Lecture Series, U3A Melbourne Council, City Library, Melbourne, 4 October 2010.
- ‘Dogs, dermis and dementia: Regeneration and degeneration in man’s best friend’ Alzheimer’s Australia 14th National Conference, Brisbane, May 2011
- ‘ANS Stem Cell Therapy Plus Voluntary Running Rescues Memory Dysfunction in a Rodent Model of Brain Ageing’, Australian Neuroscience Society Annual Conference, Gold Coast, January 2012
Invited Local Symposia
- ‘Homocysteine and the Pathogenesis Of Alzheimer’s Disease’ – Guest Speaker of School of Psychiatry, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney Australia, October 1999.
- ‘MRS and the Ageing Brain’ – Guest Speaker of The Neuropsychiatric Interest Group, Sydney Australia, April 2000.
- ‘Stem cells in AD using a Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Model’ – Academic forum School of Psychiatry, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney Australia, April 2006.
- ‘Increasing Cognitive Load and Brain Compensation’ – Black Dog Institute Research Seminar, April 2006.
- ‘Fundamentals of fMRI’ – Special presentation of Neuroimaging Group, POWH, April 2006.
- ‘Mental Exercise, Dermis, Dogs and Dementia’ – Academic Forum, School of Psychiatry, March 2007.
- Reversal of Cognitive Impairment using Skin-derived neuroprecursor therapy’ – guest speaker at School of Medical Sciences Anatomy Seminar series, UNSW, October 2007
- ‘Dogs, Dermis, Disuse & Dementia’. Seminar presentation at Brain & Mind Institute, University of Sydney, September 2008.
- ‘Adult Skin-derived neuroprecursors for treatment of age-related cognitive dysfunction’. Oral symposium presentation at Neural Stem Cells & Regenerative Neuroscience Workshop, UNSW September 2008.
- ‘Why antihypertensives may be our most valuable psychiatric medication.’ Academic Meeting, School of Psychiatry UNSW February 2009
- ‘From Canine Skin to Neuron’ – Regenerative Neuroscience seminar, Brain Science Series, UNSW March 2009.
- ‘Mental Activity and the Brain’ – St George Hospital Psychiatry Forum June 2007
- ‘Using it to Prevent Losing it’ – guest speaker NSW Alzheimer’s Forum, Blue Mountains, August 2007
- ‘Making Brain from Skin’ – oral presentation inaugural Stem Cells Symposium, UNSW August 2007
- ‘Mental Exercise, Dermis, Dogs and Dementia’ – School of Psychology, UNSW, October 2007.
- ‘Healthy Heart, Healthy Brain’. Ground Rounds, Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital. September 2009
- ‘Neural Correlates of Cognitive Lifestyle and Using Brain Training for Dementia Prevention’. SyNapse Seminar Series, Brain and Mind Institute, University of Sydney. November 2009
- ‘Latest information on preventing dementia’ – GP Health Weekend organised by Manly-Warringah Division of GPs, Newcastle, November 2009.
- ‘Its never too late to change your mind’ – Tea Topics, Woollahra Library and Information Service, 30 April 2010
- Neurogenesis in the Live Human Brain: Opportunities and Challenges for Psychiatry – First National Symposium On Translational Psychiatry, 4 April 2011
- ‘Neurogenesis and exercise in rodents and humans’ – UNSW Brain Sciences Symposium 2011, 8 September 2011
- ‘Exercise for the mind and the body’ – Workshop Facilitator at the National Dementia Research Forum, Sydney, September 2011
- ‘Early Career Research Session – Grantsmanship’ Presenter at the National Dementia Research Forum, Sydney, September 2011
- ‘A Cell Therapy Approach to Dementia Cure’ – Presenter at the Brain & Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney, 11 May 2012
- “Neuroplasticity and Australia’s National Mental Wealth” - NAB, Melbourne, April 2009.
- “Neuroplasticity and Australia’s National Mental Wealth” – Phuel Communications, Sydney, February 2010.
- “Neuroplasticity and Australia’s National Mental Wealth” - Business Innovation in Government, Lunchtime Speaker Series, Brisbane 19 May 2010
- “Neuroplasticity and Australia’s National Mental Wealth” – Australian Taxation Office, Sydney Branch, 1 July 2010
- ‘Mental Exercise and Risk for Dementia’ – Public ‘Train the Brain’ forum at Easts Leagues Club, October 2006.
- ‘Mental Activity and Expression of Brain Disease’ Keynote speaker of Motor Accidents Authority Medical Assessment Scheme, Annual Dinner, Art Gallery of New South Wales, October 2006.
- ‘Ten things I Hate about Dementia’ – Guest speaker at Annual General Meeting of NSW Alzheimer’s Association. November 2006.
- ‘Use it or Lose It – the link between brain activity and dementia’ – Public Lecture at the Australian Museum, February 2007.
- ‘Brain Reserve: How Mental Activity Protects the Brain from Dementia’ – Guest speaker at Annual General Meeting of Victorian Alzheimer’s Association, October 2007
- ‘What You Can do to Avoid Dementia’ – Guest speaker for Dementia Awareness Week Launch, NSW Parliament House, September 2008.
- ‘Healthy Heart, Healthy Mind’ – Guest speaker at Annual General Meeting of NSW Alzheimer’s Association. November 2008.
- ‘Dementia Prevention: A Hearts and Minds Issue’ – guest speaker Men’s Health Day, Healthy Ageing Talk series, Council on the Ageing, June 2009
- ‘Dementia Prevention: A Hearts and Minds Issue’ – Aged and Community Services Association (NSW and ACT) annual state conference, June 2009
- ‘Dementia Prevention: A Hearts and Minds Issue’ – guest speaker BrightMinds, Anglican Retirement Villages, June 2009
- ‘Healthy Heart, Healthy Mind’ – Guest speaker at Australian Museum, Evening Talks series, June 2009.
- ‘Healthy Heart, Healthy Mind’ – Guest speaker at Maroubra Library, June 2009.
- ‘How to Keep Your Brain Healthy & Avoid Dementia’ – Guest speaker at Australian Chinese Community Association annual meeting, Sydney October 2009.
- ‘It’s Never too Late to Change Your Mind’ – Guest speaker at Memory Forum, South Sydney Juniors, November 2009
- ‘The Use it or Lose it Brain’ – Plenary and panel discussant at the Mind and Its Potential Conference, December 2009
- 16. ‘Dementia and Hypertension Workshop’ – Guest speaker at the Graduate School of Medicine UOW, 11 May 2011
- ‘Healthy Heart, Healthy Mind’ – Mind your Mind Boroondara community presentation, Alzheimer’s Australia Victoria, Melbourne, 12 May 2010
- ‘Perspectives on Health’ – University of Tasmania, School of Medicine Public Lecture, Hobart, 25 August 2011 (Topic – Use it or Lose It: How Staying Mentally Active Transforms and Protects the Brain)
- ‘Mind Matters: Can you change your mind to be smarter and more successful?’ (Topic – Brain-training) – Young Garvan Public Forum, Macquarie Bank Function Centre, Sydney 21 June 2011
Prizes & Honours
A/Prof Michael Valenzuela
|JUNIOR INVESTIGATOR AWARD||International College of Psychoneuropharmacology, 2008|
|EUREKA PRIZE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH||Australian Museum, 2006.|
|ORGANON RESEARCH AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION BY AN EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER||Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research, 2007|
|NSW YOUNG TALL POPPY OF THE YEAR||Australian Institute of Policy & Science, 2009|
|NHMRC EXCELLENCE AWARD (TOP RANKED CLINICAL CDA)||National Health and Medical Research Council, 2010|
|DEAN OF MEDICINE POST DOCTORALFELLOWSHIP||University of New South Wales, 2006-2008|
|VICE CHANCELLOR’S POST DOCTORAL FELLOW||University of New South Wales, 2008-2011|
|CAREER DEVELOPMENT FELLOWSHIP||NHMRC 2010-|
|Conference & Local Prizes|
|INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP||Asia Pacific Developmental Biology Network, Japan 2008|
|TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP||The 10th International Conference On Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Madrid, Spain, 2006.|
|ARTHUR EDWARD MILLS PRIZE||Best Honours research project in Graduate Medical Program, University of Sydney, 2004.|
|INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP||World Congress of Biological Psychiatry, Berlin Germany 2001|
|TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP||The 8th International Conference On Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders, Stockholm Sweden, 2002|