Help RNG beat Dementia
The Regenerative Neuroscience Group is pioneering a radical new treatment to beat dementia based on a person’s own stem cells.
In brief, our animal research has shown that we can:
- Grow stem cells from a small skin biopsy.
- Convert these stem cells into neurons (brain cells) in a dish.
- Transplant these cells into the brains of old rats.
- The cells survive, mature and integrate into the animal’s brain circuits.
The animal’s memory recovers from impaired to normal.
We are therefore very excited about the potential for this research. The next step is to replicate many of these results using human skin tissue. For this reason we have joined forces with leadings surgeons from around Sydney.
If you wish to make a donation to the Regenerative Neuroscience Group. please fill out your details below and press “Submit” and one of our staff will be in contact with you shortly.
Our objective is to raise $250,000 for this project. These funds will go towards:
- Training a new early career scientist.
- Purchasing new specialised equipment for growing and studying our stem cells.
- Communicating results to fellow scientists and the general public.
You can learn more about this exciting project by watching our short film below.
About the Movie
This movie was directed, filmed and produced by International Film School Sydney graduate and rising star Anna Nørskov Henriksen. See more of her work here.